Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What Did I Miss?

I woke up this morning with a toothache. My gums were sensitive and a little swollen. I called the dentist and went in. Apparently, this has been a problem for while now and I had no idea. I had a root-canal in that tooth a few years ago so I couldn't fell any pain...until now. I guess it is an abscess now and it is beyond repair. They have to go in and surgically remove the tooth and infection next week. They are knocking me out which is good, but it was a total shock to me. If I want to have a tooth there, I have to pay $2,500 for a bridge or an implant. To top it all off, they are putting me on some hefty antibiotics that I have to stop nursing the baby for. I know...I have had a good run, almost nine months but I wasn't done yet! And I don't have her trained yet! She's never taken a bottle. I guess she'll have to get used to it! I have been in tears all morning, I can't wait for my mom to get here. Thank heavens for my sweet husband who can always calm me down and put things into perspective. He said "Dear, it's not that big of a deal, you don't have cancer, we'll worry about the money later, blah blah blah". Anyway,please wish me luck, and give me any tips for switching over from the boob to the bottle...

6 comments:

Myca said...

Mandi...I am so sorry to hear about all your tooth drama....believe me, I understand. I would suggest that if you are going to end up having to totally stop nursing then I would start pumping now when she is ready to eat and give it to her in a bottle so that you can be sure that she will take the bottle once she absolutely can't nurse. Once she will take it pretty ok with your milk I would start adding formula into it so she can get used to that because she will have to take just that while you are on the anitbiotic right? Plus you might dry up in that time unless you keep pumping....so it's always good to make sure she will take not only the bottle, but formula also.

maccam said...

Oh Mandi! That is no fun! I work in dentistry but that doesn't mean I don't hate being on the other side! :) I know, dentistry is so expensive. I hate -so so so so so so so so so so- much hearing already fixed teeth having to be refixed. I always feel so bad for people when they have to redue root canals especially. Yuck! I'm also so sorry to hear about having to stop feeling MaKenna. Oh, it will get better. Thankfully you have a great hubby. PS those pictures of Marlee are amazing! Love, Cam

jordan.krogman said...

:c( As if the tooth situation isnt bad enough...I'm sorry that you've got to stop nursing Kenna! Do you have to have this surgery REALLY soon, or is it a ways off? If you have a few weeks before the surgery, I'd say pump like a crazy woman and get a good supply of breastmilk stored up that you can feed to her while you're on the antibiotic. Then keep pumping while you're on it, even though you'll have to toss all the milk out. Maybe you'll be able to transition her back to breastfeeding once you're off your prescription, as long as you're pumping to keep your supply up.
Dentist stuff freaks me out, so I totally feel for you. :c(

Claire said...

Hey my FIL makes bridges and implants for a living. I might be able to get him to do it at cost for you. The dentist would just have to send him the stuff instead of whoever he usually uses. If you go to game night tonight you can let me know if you want me to talk to him about it. He does very good work!

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

Ugh that sucks! So sorry about your tooth! I cried for 3 days when I couldn't nurse Brooklyn anymore. I'm sorry!! Good luck with the tooth! Ouch.

Stephanie Kay Moore said...

Good luck! I HATE the dentist!!!