Monday, February 09, 2009

The Big Day

It has been a crazy 24 hours at our house. Yesterday after church we had our "family nap" and when we woke up we went downstairs. I had been cutting hearts out of construction paper on Saturday and Marlee was "helping" me. She thought it was fun, and we had just got her some kid scissors. So, after our nap she wanted to cut some more hearts. I ran upstairs to get the baby and when I came back Marlee said "Look Mommy, I cut my hairs!" I ran over and sure enough there was a big chunk of hair sitting on her shoulder. I just yelled "MARLEE, NO!!!" but, it was too late. She had given herself a haircut. I knew that this day would come, she sees Mommy cutting hair all the time...but that night before her FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL? What timing!?!?
I am not gonna lie... I got a little teary. It's not THAT bad, but it's definitely noticeable (especially to me). I thought her hair was crazy before... oh well. The problem is, her hair grows SO SLOW. It has taken me 3 1/2 years to get it this long...and it's NOT long!
Her first day of school went well. She LOVED it. She was so excited when we got there. She ran off with the teacher and could care less if I stayed or went. The teacher practically had to shove me out the door. She was like "Ok Marlee, go give mommy a hug and say goodbye"... I was gonna stay a few, oh well. It was a LONG 3 1/2 hours. When I went back Ms.Julie said she had done GREAT! Smiling and playing the whole time...until about the last 10 minutes. She said she panicked when she saw other people's parents coming and going, and her mommy didn't come. She was a little worried I forgot her. She is doing great now, and can't wait to go back tomorrow! The really surprising thing is that out of the FIVE friends she already knows in that class, NONE of them were there today. All sick. So, if she does that good not knowing anyone, I hope it will only get better!


This is a good view of the short ones she cut on this side. They won't even stay up...

The only funny thing about this was when I saw her I said "Marlee, you are gonna look like a boy" (I know, not very nice) and she said "Oh, NO mom, I don't WANT to be a boy!!!"

I just hope she learned her lesson...

12 comments:

lysh said...

Marlee is getting so big...I love that and hate that at the same time. You can barely tell she cut her hair...it could have been much worse!

Matt and Debbie said...

I totally agree. It doesn't really look that bad, except to you I'm sure. Her hair looks cute pulled back like that.

Tom Earl said...

Great update - I love that little girl! I wish you guys were here with us in Playa!!!!

Mandi said...

Me too dad, me too...

Stevenson's said...

Oh yeah it's like you know this day will come. But thankfully it isn't as bad as it could be. That's so good that she loved pre-school! What a cutie! She always looks so pretty

lvohs@hotmail.com & dvohs4@gmail.com said...

it totally could be worse...i did bangs when i was little! You are a hot mommy...do the project too!

mumovearls said...

I know... What nena's back? What the crazy?
Ok this is vacation right surely i will get some blog reading done? Yep!


She is killing me! I cant believe she cut it! Ahhhhhhhh! At first I couldn't tell but the pictures after I can see! ahhhhhhh! Honey hasn't done it yet but Beckham took the clippers to the front of his hair 2 weeks ago and now has a bald head!
Ha Ha -Nena
wishing you where here... in Mexico! loves and kisses!

Rach H @ FamilyEverAfter said...

man, catching up with you, whoo hoo! love all the new posts. i just hafta tell you regarding the exorcism post... all i can say is we all have those days and moments. i have learned so much from you and i know you are an excellent mother. so, chin up. maybe having her go to school will help, having more to do. i think we're gonna do preschool in the fall, reese is ready too. you'll have to let us know how she does!

Tess said...

My cousin's daughter had pigtails in her hair before church and she cut them both off! So she really did look like a boy! You're lucky...it really isn't that noticeable. And she looks so cute. I'm glad she has such confidence and enjoyed school!

Elizabeth Cranmer said...

so sad about the hair! I don't know though after seeing the Scott and Jenn's hair cut situation I think you made it out pretty good!

So exciting about first day of school!

Claire said...

When I was about 6, I talked my grandfather into helping me cut my hair. Basically, I hacked it all off, he tried to fix it a little bit, then my mom (after nearly killing the both of us) dragged me to a professional. I looked like a very unloved little boy for about 2 years. Hopefully she learned her lesson. If she didn't (like me!) just buy her barbies to practice on. All my barbies had nothing left after being in my house for about a month!! I also enjoyed adjusting the length of my pants and skirts. What can I say, I love scissors!!

Speaking of skirts, I FINALLY fixed yours! Sorry that took me so long.

Ms. Marlee's hair isn't too awful. I'll have to see if I can find a pic of me with my fantabulous self-done hack job. I know I have at least 2 different years of school photos where you can tell what happened!

Cali said...

I love her new bangs. They are adorable.