I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who could possibly perform an exorcism on my 3 year old. I am almost positive she has been possessed by some kind of demon.
I am not naive enough to think that she is a perfect child...or even close to it, BUT she is usually pretty well behaved (with some sass here and there). She loves playing with friends and going places. But lately, she seems to be getting more out of control by the day. I don't know what she is thinking. Any little thing can set her off. One minute she is sweet as candy, then you do one thing she doesn't approve of and she turns on you. Today was a particularly bad day for us. This has been one of the hardest days ever for me as a mother. She has started this screaming thing. When she gets to her boiling point she screams bloody murder at me. It is beyond obnoxious. It's like by the time she get's that far gone, she can't control her anger, and in turn it makes me feel more and more upset with her. Today she had me in tears. I felt like a total failure as a mother. I wondered where in the last three years I let her think that she could get away with doing some of this stuff. We try to do what we think is best for them, and sometimes I guess it's just not enough. To anyone who has seen her act this way lately...I swear I discipline her!!! I am really trying to be more consistent but MY GOSH she wears me down. It is a bad weekend for this too because Collin has his weekend class. So... he's been gone all week, and he'll be gone all weekend. Anyways, just needed to vent a little I suppose...
11 comments:
Oh Mandy- you're such a good mom. I have been reading this book that may not be completely relevant, but it mostly teaches how to stay calm when your kids are acting their worst. I think that's the hardest part! Josie hasn't been a very hard 2 year old so I'm afraid we might be in the same boat a year from now... then you can tell me how to get through it!!
PS: Stay away from white beard - - sounds SOOO scary.
PPS: so so sorry about your father-in-law. I have met him and he is such a kind person - I hope things will get better soon.
PPPS: Happy Birthday Makenna!!! She is such a doll. You were saying you still feel like she's 9 or 10 months and it reminded me of babysitting Marlee when she was 10 months - - seems like yesterday!!!
Oh, PPPPS: The book is called "A Survival Guide from a Family of Nine: Raising a G-rated family in an x-rated world".
Mandi you are a great mom and I am sure she is just going through a phase that will pass. Unfortunately I dont have any good advise, just hang in there. My brother-in-law is a family psychologist and he always has amazing advise when I have questions about Hallies behavior. I can see what advise he has if you want.
Oh, I'm so sorry! Hang in there. You are a wonderful mother. I don't know why people always talk about the "terrible twos" because with my own children three was always way worse. I felt like 3 was when they really pushed the limits and tried to test us to see where the boundaries were.
yeah I agree with lindsay. Welcome to having a three year old. I question often if my 3 year old is turning out. This too shall pass. She will someday turn 4 (or 5) and she will be a sweet little thing again. hahaa
Hang in there! Three is always worse, but it will get better. Just keep at it. Love you!!
Three is definitely the most challenging age (well, until those fun teenage years...haha). Peyton went through that absolutely HORRIBLE stage, too, when she was 3 and 4 years old, but is finally out of it for the most part at five. That seems like a long time, doesn't it?! I don't really have any GREAT advice or anything, but just try your best to hang in there. The things that seemed to work best for us where the old tried-and-true methods: Set limits and DON'T give in once they're set. Choose which things are important enough to "fight" for. (pick your battles, I guess...) Have a concrete punishment for misbehavior and stick with it. And sometimes, ignoring the bad behavior is the only way to get it to stop.
I personally love the Super Nanny (Jo Frost) and read a book by her ages ago...although for some reason, my family STILL doesn't act like one of the families on her show. Hmmmmm....
the screaming thing happens during language transitions. Basically, she has more to say than she is able to fully say so she gets frustrated and screams right in your face instead. Usually acknowledging the fact that she frustrated followed with "but you can't scream in mommy's face like that so go to your room if you want to scream" will usually at least help you stay sane. Believe it or not, she might actually just go in her room and keep screaming and then come out like nothing happened when she's over it.
In any case, don't take it personal. It's not a discipline problem, it's just her brain going faster than her vocabulary.
I don't know why they call it terrible two's....that was childs play. Three's.....aweful. but don't worry, 4's it gets better. in fact Wes is soo sweet now. When we were on vacation and we'd call home, Wes would say "hi mom! are you having a good time in Belize?" and I'd tell him "yeah!" and he'd tell me "good, cuz i'm having a great time with auntie Tiffy!" So sweet. anyways. hang in there. nicole
I've been feeling the same about Enoch lately. Hopefully its just a phase!!! :D
Thanks for letting us all realize we aren't the only ones going through this stuff as mothers. Sometimes I feel like I'm the one screaming.. horrible I know. I've only seen you once with Marlee when she was an infant, but I'm sure your mothering skills are just perfect. Hope things get better soon. Too bad we can't have play dates to get our kids together!
Post a Comment