Wednesday, April 29, 2009

It's Raining, It's Pouring...

As some of you know, I brought Makenna into the Doctor again on Monday. He wanted to see her if she still wasn't walking by 16 months. His gut told him to take some X-Rays of her legs and hips although there was not a lot of evidence of Hip Dysplasia. Well, instead of the all clear phone call I was expecting this morning, they asked me to come in asap and meet with the Doc. They told me that it was Hip Dysplasia in her left hip and that we would need to go to the Peds Ortho Doc in Sioux Falls. I know it is not the end of the world, but when something is wrong with your children, it is STRESSFUL! I feel bad for not being able to catch it earlier and I hope it can be fixed without surgery. I have been reading some articles online and for the most it looks like if you catch it by 6 months you can brace their legs, unfortunately a lot of them say that if you don't catch it when they are infants, the best option is surgery. Really, hip surgery on a one year old? Just makes me sad. For now, I am going to hope it doesn't come to that. It all depends on the severity.
I guess for me, it just makes me wonder if all those times I questioned why she wasn't walking yet I should have done something more. Guess it is what it is. We will have to wait and see when we can get into the specialist. Wish us luck, and maybe send a few prayers Kenna's way...
Here are a couple articles about it if you're curious:

23 comments:

::lindsay said...

I'm so sorry Mandi. What a stressful time for you and your family. Don't beat yourself up though. It sounds like your doctor didn't even initially think it was hip dysplasia, he was just trying to cover all the bases. I'm so glad you have great doctors looking out for her. We will send some prayers your way!

Elizabeth Cranmer said...

I hope that you find out she can make quick progress with something more conventional then surgery. Poor little dear. I am sure you guys will figure out the best route.

Matt and Debbie said...

Oh Mandi!! My eyes are all watery right now. Poor Kenna.... such a sweet little girl, would have never guessed she had something preventing her from walking. My heart and prayers go out to her and your family.

Stephanie Kay Moore said...

You are in my prayers!

Rach H @ FamilyEverAfter said...

What? I'm gonna call you right now. Our prayers are definitely with you and her!

xoxo

Tom Earl said...

She is going to be ok! Don't kick yourself.....

Claire said...

Hrm. I've never met anyone besides my mom with hip dysplasia. Don't give yourself a hard time over this. Pretty much if the doctor doesn't hear the hips click when they do the testing, they assume the hips are normal. My mother was a very active person with uncorrected hip dysplasia. She used to train horses from her teenage years until her late 30's. The huge physical demands caused some major problems for her at that point and she's had a couple surgeries for her hip now.

I suppose my only advice here is that if a doctor wants to do something called a "cherry-ostomy" (no clue how you really spell that), get a second and third opinion before you do it. Any surgery they do on Kenna will be much easier since she has soft bones than it would be on a person in their 30's or 40's, but I was still at home when my mom had that cherry-ostomy thing and I wouldn't recommend it. I've also seen her through a hip replacement and that was a MILLION TIMES easier than the cherry-ostomy thing.

I'm glad they caught Kenna's hip early and medicine improves pretty much every day. Chances are they will be able to correct it noninvasively because she's so little!

Earl Family said...

Hang in there dear. We'll be sending some prayers your way.

The Hoyt's said...

So sorry to hear this. I am sure everything will be ok in the end. Know that I am only a phone call away and we will definitely pray for all of you.

The Workmans said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your little girl. We'll send lots of prayers and I'm positive everything is going to turn out okay.

Sarah said...

Hey girl! I know this is a stressful situation but I know she'll be ok, two of my cousins four kids have had this and their surgery's went great and you'd never know there was anything wrong with them. They walk great! Give her loves for us and we'll be praying for her! We miss you guys

Chelsie Wilde said...

I am so sorry to hear! Tys brother had hip displasia when he was first learning to walk (a little older) as well. He had it in both legs and they still were able to fix it with braces, hopefully that is her case, I am sure everything will be just fine. I will have to ask Ty's mom more details. We will definitely keep little Kenna in our prayers! Give her loves from us!

Angie said...

DO NOT beat yourself up about this. You did the same thing we all would have done, we would've trusted the experts. I know she is going to be just fine, and we will pray for her every day. We love you guys so much!!!!

mumovearls said...

We'll keep that little peanut in our prayers... I can't wait to hang with my girls this summer!-N

Torey said...

Hey Mandi,
My sister had this - they didn't catch it until she started crawling. I think she just wore a brace at night (not sure how long she had to do that). But anyway, she's a grown-up now and she's okay. We'll be praying for Kenna. I'm sure she'll be okay.

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! But really, don't blame yourself! How could you have known? You're a great mom. We'll keep her in our prayers.

maccam said...

Poor little girl. And don't blame yourself at all!!!!!! Like you said, there was no evidence. Even the specialist didn't think she had it. But most importantly she is going to be just fine. Surgery is no fun, but with all these prayers sending your/her way, she will be well in NO TIME! We love you guys! And will also pray lots and lots! Love, Cam

jordan.krogman said...

Awwww, poor Kenna. :c( I'm sorry you're having to worry about this, Mandi. It is really stressful when something isn't right with your kiddos.
I'm very surprised the Dr's didn't catch it at her well-child visits. I hope you get good news at your appt. coming up, and that it doesn't require surgery! (((hugs)))

Jenn said...

She will be fine...lots of prayers and faith, and she will be fine! She has none of the "risk factors" listed in the articles that you postes, so there is NO way you could have known. You did what we all would have done. We love you and your family so much! We will all be supporting you in any way you can.

Amanda & Seth Campbell said...

Hey Mandi I just wanted you to know that your sweet baby girl is in our prayers. Hope you guys find the strength to get through this new challenge in your family. Take care.

Natalie said...

Hi Mandi - I totally feel for you guys! It is not a fun thing to have a child need surgery. We're praying that she doesn't have a severe case and it can be buttoned up with something not so invasive. Poor little thing! We love you guys and you're in our thoughts and prayers.

The Morales Family said...

I am so sorry mandi- that is so scary- We will be thinking of you and your cute family- Miss ya salindo!

Stevenson's said...

Oh madi, I was so sad reading your post. I'm sorry you are going through this. I pray for your famiy and little Kenna, but it sounds like it may not be severe considering they didn't see a lot of evidence. Good luck at the specialist and everything will be fine. You are a great mom and don't blame yourself.