Sunday, October 04, 2009

The Cure

Today my mom, grandma, sisters,Ali and myself walked the 5K Race for the Cure with my Grandma Audrey. A 34 year breast cancer survivor. This is our first year doing it, I should have been doing it for years. It was such an amazing experience. Everyone there is supportive, cheerful and has their own story. A lot of people wore bright pink signs that were either "in celebration of" or "in memory of". We met some amazing women, both survivors and family of those who have passed on. There were at least 10 times throughout the day I fought back tears...ok, maybe I let them out a few times too. My Grandma was SO thrilled that we went. We all made signs, and hats that said "team Audrey" and "34 Years". There were not many people there with more than 34 years as a survivor, so as we walked the streets of downtown Denver with her, people literally stopped to applaud as she passed. It was so touching, I can't even explain it. It was an eye opener for me because there were several survivors there that were my age, or not much older. Women with new babies, or young children. It was heart breaking, but also very inspiring. I am so glad we went, and plan to do it again next year. Congrats Grandma, we're proud of you and we love you.
As we got to the finish line, Gary Shapiro with 9 News was waiting to interview people. He saw Grandma come down the hill and asked us if we could wait and do a live TV interview. It was pretty cool. We have watched 9 News for years, so we know all the reporters.
The video is terrible I know, but I was using my phone to record off the TV! The first one is Grandma, and the second is myself and then Angie. I don't know why they picked the two of us, but it was kinda cool!

She's towards the end of this one with my mom, and us girls. This is the Denver Post interview.

8 comments:

Tom Earl said...

Ok that is seriously cool! Congrats to Gma!!!

Natalie said...

That is AWESOME!! Way too cool, you guys are all so cute! Congrats to your Grandma, way to go! :D

Tess said...

What a touching post! I'm glad you all got to do that together. Those pictures of your grandma make me smile!!!

Maranda said...

That is so great! My brother Jackson and his wife and son were there too supporting a friend. What an amazing experience!

Matt and Debbie said...

How amazing!! Love the hats!!

Christina said...

Amazing!!! I'm bummed I couldn't make it work to be there. You will have to do it again. :)

Rach H @ FamilyEverAfter said...

How awesome! Good for your grandma! Is she the one I have met in Vermillion?

And, you are a natural on tv. I don't think many people are good on camera. You guys did great!!! (And look so cute!)

Samantha said...

Okay Mandi, I am a huge baby because that last video totally had me crying when your family was on! What a great experience for you guys. And I got the text from tom today about collin and the bar! Yay!!!